Click here for no banners

Pinball Home Page

Our jukebox Seeburg AY160 1961

here it is in all its broken down glory! Yup, those are index cards with the song titles written on them taped to the inside of the top glass. the selector picks up and plays the records but there is no sound. The previous owner said it works but one speaker is blown and his son hooked up other speakers. Well , yeah the speakers are disconnected, but the tubes all light up! So rather than see him put it in the gargbage I take it. There is a Bruce Springsteen picture sleeve in the machine, :-) I have no problem letting 'mom' keep all her 'priceless' 45's :-) I got lots of late 50's and early 60's for this baby! So at this point I know nothing about a jukebox except how to put in money and push the buttons. Everybody who is anybody in juke restoration is on the Internet and this becomes my means for information and parts. Everyone was extreemly helpful except a guy in Ga. After I ask a few questions that obviously reveal I have not done this before, he is quick to tell me I can't tackle the job of rebuilding the unit myself. Maybe he wants me to send the units to him for rebuilding? he did not ask me If I have an electronics technician degree and has no idea that I worked in the electronics field as a tech over 10 years. So.. Next I got a service manual and breif myself on the operation As you can see above this juke was taken right off a route and sold to a unsuspecting has never been cleaned and is still loaded with grease all over and nicotine stains from life in a bar. the machine will pick up a few records and then won't select also about half way through the first song there is considerable volume loss. Through a few e-mails I soon learn that the most common problem is the old paper capacitors need replacment. Re-capping the selector section and amp is a tedious job, but anyone with a minimal (and possibly even none) education in electronics can do it. The above shows the amp with the input and pre amp sections re-capped. Vern Tisdale supplied the parts, every cap is labled and can be easily matched with the parts list. You can pretty much figure which old caps are replaced with new ones, but following the schematic is the correct way for positive identification. I even found some mis-wiring in the amp which I corrected. So with the re-capped sections back in the unit we are moovin' and groovin' in the garage



<<< BEFORE the mech was the most tedious to cleaning AFTER>>>


After the mech and inside was cleaned the mech was lubed according to the specifications in the manual. Obviously this is not a grade 1 restoration, I did not take the mech apart and readjust everything. This is certainly not for the faint of heart and experience goes along way here. I made a few minor adjustments and that was it don't fix what ain't broke! The finishing touches were: cleaning and polishing the outside of the box Installing a NOS cartridge fitted with 2 diamond stylus' painting and installing a NOS coin door. installing the upper name tray with 'seeburg insert' upper 'feature selection tray' lower selection tray. Back to the Top thanks to : Bill Butterfield - original service manual Vern Tisdale - Capacitor kits for Selector and Amp sections. excellent packaging and instructions! Ken Arnold - repro parts Captian Calin - used parts John Durfee - used parts Back to the Top